Totally Tubular - Techie Tube Talk

Tubes Tubes Tubes

For many years I used TungSol 12ax7 tubes for pre-amp and phase inverter tubes.  I loved the sound of my amps. 

Somewhere along the line i started using JJ 12ax7, JJ ECC823 in pre-amp slot V1, and JJ 5751 for the phase inverter slot.  The reason for switching to JJ tubes was the reputation as being super tough and very road worthy.  I even had myself convinced I liked the tone.  

After a few years I noticed a few things about the JJ pre-amp tubes that I had been ignoring.  

First, my guitar sound had a strong midrange tone that overpowered some areas of tonal harmonics and sustain.  No matter what I did I could not dial out that tone.  There was also a high edge that almost screeched sometimes.  I had to be very careful.  It got to the point that it irritated me. 

Next, I noticed that I was replacing the phase inverter tube more often than before, and the 12au7 half of the ECC823 (used by the high gain channel) was crapping out on me at an even faster rate.

On a whim, I dug some of my old Tungol 12ax7 tubes out of boxes on the shelf and popped them in place of JJ tubes, all pre-amp and phase inverter slots.

I was not prepared for the surprise.  When I fired up the amp, that sound I loved was back.  The sweet midrange was back and the overpowering midrange was gone. I also noticed that the dynamics from smooth and clean to a crunchy edge was back, using nothing but pick attack. Plus, the occasional high screechy sound was gone. 

There are a lot of differences between the JJ and Tungsol tubes, but biggest differences are the tone and the breakup (Crunchy edge).  The JJ tubes have more overhead and don't breakup unless driven hard at higher volume levels.  The Tungsol tubes have less overhead and start to breakup nicely at any volume level.

Now that I have tried JJ  pre-amp tubes and switched back to Tungsol pre-amp tubes, I am sticking with Tungsol.

Power Power Power

After the experience with Tungsol pre-amp tubes, I did more research on 6V6 power tubes. I have been using JJ 6V6s power tubes because of the reputation for being able to handle high plate voltage combined with tough road-worthiness, not to mention good tone.

My research led me to Tungsol 6V6gt power tubes. I decided to give them a shot.  Great tone, tough, but could not handle as high plate voltage or as hot bias settings compared to JJ 6V6s.  Since the plate voltage in my Marshall DSL15c is not terribly high I was not  worried about that.  To be safe, I biased the Tungol 6V6gt power tubes a little cooler than then JJ 6V6s power tubes.  The first thing I noticed was i got more of the sound I loved.  Clean and creamy until I attacked the strings, and then creamy and crunchy, just like I like it.

The Tungsol 6V6gt power tubes had slightly less clean overhead and were not as loud as the JJ 6V6s tubes.  Which was perfect for me. 

So far, the full compliment of Tungsol tubes are holding up well and not crapping out.  

More importantly, I am getting the sound I want, without having to be as careful with my playing mechanics.  I just have to be my self and play my guitar.  

I can't ask for more than that!

Enjoy the Music!

Jimmy Haggard



Comments