Just Stringing You Along

Strings, Strings and more Strings

For years I used DR Pure Blue 10 strings on my electric guitars and Martin SP 12s on my acoustic.  Then I moved to 11s on my acoustic.

Somewhere along the line, I switched to Dr Pure Blue 11s on my electrics. Damn nation, what a difference one hundredth of an inch makes in a guitar string.  The 11s produce a fuller tone and the overtones and harmonics with the 11s are amazing on my electric guitars.

Now, I am locked in with DR Pure Blue 11s on my electric guitars.

Back to the acoustic... For many years I used Martin SP custom light strings (11s).  On a whim, I tried a new set of D'Addario Nickel Bronze 11s.  I loved the overall feel and tone, but the D'Addario wound strings are smaller than the Martin wounds.  The big problem was the G string started buzzing because the string slid too far into the nut groove, resulting in the string being too close to the frets.

I looked into replacing or repairing the nut groove, and also looked at the thickness of different strings.  It was an eye opener to see the differences in the thickness of the wound strings on similar types of strings from different manufacturers.  I decided to go back to the Martin SP 11s or maybe 12s.

Fast forward and I am at the music store ready to buy the Martin SPs.  I told the music store sales guy my sad story and he recommended a Martin string that is Martin's answer to the D'Addario Nickel Bronze strings.

The Martin strings are Martin Retros. I picked up a set of lights (12s) and could not be happier.  Perfect!  No free buzz and sweet tone.

Locked and loaded!

Enjoy the Music!

Jimmy Haggard

Comments