My Old Blues Jr Died

One of my favorite amps finally died.  

Around 8 years ago, I picked up a used 2001 Fender Blues Jr for $300.  I modified that little amp until it was no longer a Blues Jr, with cap and resister changes, a Mercury output transformer, converted from 9-pin to octet tube sockets so I could run 6V6 tubes instead of the little EL84 power tubes, and finally a Warehouse Guitar Speaker ET65 speaker.  

The sound was somewhere between a Fender and Marshall.  That little amp crunched with the best. I loved that little amp.   But, after 15 years of wear and tear, including eight years in my hands, the poor little amp finally bit the dust

I have a couple of other amps, but they are either too loud or too heavy to bring to jam sessions and small venues. 

The Marshall DSL40C amp is amazing.  Of course, I tweaked that amp a little by clipping one capacitor on the Ultra Gain, put in JJ KT66 power tubes, changed the pre-amp tube on the Ultra Gain channel to a 12AY7 (lower gain than the standard 12AX7).  I also put in a Warehouse Guitar Speaker HM75.  Since I do not want pristine clean tone, the Marshall DSL40C is perfect for me.  The Pentode/Triode switch is great.  Using Triode mode the amp is perfect for smaller venues.  The only problem is that this combo is too heavy to lug around for jam sessions and casual use  It is great for gigs, but too heavy for anything else. 

I also have a point-to-point hand wired 50-watt HEAT boutique amp head that is based on a Marshall JCM800 2204a, with modded pre-amp circuits for a little more edge on the gain and improved grounding circuit which lowered the hum and buzz significantly.  But this head is only good for larger venues and festivals.  In a small to medium sized venue, you cannot turn the master volume past "1."  The sound is amazing beyond words, but it is too loud for casual use. 

Since I prefer the Marshall tone, and I don't want pristine cleans, I decided to pick up a Marshall DSL15C combo amp to replace the Blues Jr.   

This is the beginning of a wonderful new relationship that will last for many, many years. 

Until next time...

Enjoy The Music!

Jimmy Haggard



Comments